Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2017

Review: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline



Rating: 5/5 stars

Series: - | Published: August 16th 2011 by Broadway Books
Pages: 386 | Format: E-book
Genre: Young Adult, Sci-Fi
Status: read from August 4 to August 8, 2017
Add it to your Goodreads


“Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.”


My first GoodReads update for Ready Player One was “I know I will love this book!”. Well, that turned out to be very true. I'm not surprised that the book lived up to my expectations, because I already knew that would be the case. I've never read anything like this before and I really hope that I will find more books taking place in a virtual reality/video game. It was so awesome. 

First of all: An egghunt taking place in a virtual reality is brilliant. The world was what made the book a 5-star read. I didn't know I was looking for this book before I read it.

Secondly: Admirable characters. All of them were great, interesting, entertaining and likeable. I loved all Wade's relationships (all two of them) with his virtual friends, especially H (Aech). H was probably my fave but Wade was tip top as well. Ogden Morrow was pretty good too.

Finally: See more of my likes below (though listed in a less comprehensive and comprehending way)



• The OASIS is such a cool place. I love the idea of virtual realities of all sorts and this was no exception. The world was just so incredibly complex and infinite that it completely blew my mind. The OASIS contains thousans of planets -- There is a Star Wars planet for example. It is fantastic how imaginative the book turned out to be.
• There was this scene when Wade had to become the main character in an old 80's movie. He had to act out the character's exact movements and say all his lines perfectly to get a high score and it that way completing the quest. That was excellent.
• The hide and seek. Wade and his friends had to hide, both in real life and in the OASIS. That added to the entertainment. It had all the action I was looking for.
• The competition and all the suspense. To follow Wade's mind when he struggled about the clues and when he finally understood what it meant. I loved when he realized what he had to do.
• The 80's. I love books/movies/TV-shows taking place in this era (e.g. Stranger Things). I love the ambience of the 80's. (I cannot wait for the movie to come out next year.)
• I loved that Wade's life improved on so many levels. Even though his life got rougher, his life got better. He deserved that.
ADVENTURE! FRIENDSHIPS! 


• Ready Player One was slightly predictable. I could easily see how the book would end. This didn't bother me that much because I actually wanted it to end somewhat like it did.
• The references I didn't understand and the famous names of the 80's I didn't know. (Ugh. Sad girl born in the late 90's.) But that's not the book, it's me. :(

What is it about?

In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

Have you read this book? What did you think? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment