Posted on Friday, August 25, 2017

Review: Dangerous Boys by Abigail Haas

Dangerous Boys by Abigail Haas



Rating: 3.75/5 stars

Series: - | Published: August 14th 2014 by Simon & Schuster Childrens Books
Pages: 328 | Format: Paperback
Genre: Young Adult, Mystery
Status: read August 6, 2017
Add it to your Goodreads



“Our lives are made up of choices, you see. Big ones, small ones, strung together by the thin air of good intentions; a line of dominoes, ready to fall.”


I had a hard time deciding how to rate this book and how to write this review. I can begin by saying that I didn't enjoy Dangerous Boys as much as Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas. The books aren't really related so perhaps it's an unnecessary comparison, but it's one I'm making. Dangerous Girls is after all a favorite book of mine. I had high expectations going into Dangerous Boys and can with certainty say that I'm a little disappointed in the story and the characters. The only likeable person was Ethan in my opinion. Oliver was awful and Chloe wasn't my favorite either.

Dangerous Boys, alike Dangerous Girls, shift from past to present to future narratives throughout the book, which in this case fortified the suspense. Although, this book wasn't as suspenseful as I'd hoped, I still enjoyed it at times. I suspect I wasn't all that into it when I was reading it.

Abigail Haas is nonetheless the master of mystery writing. I absolutely love her writing. Clean, easy and fast-paced. I really like how she adds psychology to her stories because, this too, adds to the creepiness and suspense.

The fact that I didn't give Dangerous Boys a higher rating has to do with my sense of offness. I just didn't like it that much and the story didn't reach my love-level. Still, I didn't have any major problems, but the minor ones made me realize that I at least didn't love the book.




• The mystery and the build up to the final verdict.
• A scene of twist and turns where Chloe found herself in a helpless situation with a teacher. That surprised me big time.
• Chloe's mind is both a like and a dislike, I guess. It was very complex and puzzling. On one hand, it was entertaining to follow her mind of thought, but on the other, it was confusing and made me not like her.


• The main character, Chloe, (once again) was very confusing and unpredictable. She made really stupid decisions. I didn't like her character developing in the direction it did.
• How she (Chloe) handled her love interest.
• The ending was not pleasing.

What is it about?

Three teens venture into the abandoned Monroe estate one night; hours later, only two emerge from the burning wreckage. Chloe drags one Reznick brother to safety, unconscious and bleeding; the other is left to burn, dead in the fire. But which brother survives? And is his death a tragic accident? Desperate self-defense? Or murder?

Chloe is the only one with the answers. As the fire rages, and police and parents demand the truth, she struggles to piece together the story of how they got there-a story of jealousy, twisted passion, and the darkness that lurks behind even the most beautiful of faces…

Have you read this book? What did you think? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment